Can Oral High Dose Vitamin C Kill Cancer Cells More Effectively than Intravenous C?
The use of High-Dose Vitamin C for cancer mitigation and management has been studied for years. Holistically minded professions use HDVC in conjunction with other innovative treatments to maximize effectiveness. Most of these doctors do not use traditional chemotherapy or radiation as they often cause permanent or even fatal side effects –these therapies destroy all cells, healthy and malignant, eventually leading to patient death.
Building on the work of Linus Pauling, who was recognized as the world’s foremost advocate of therapeutic vitamin C, significant research shows that high dose vitamin C (HDVC) effectively eradicates cancer cells while leaving healthy cells intact. HDVC has been used alongside cancer therapies (both conventional and holistic) since the 1970’s. While not considered to be a cancer cure, it is a powerful adjunctive therapy for cancer patients.
Ascorbic acid is preferentially toxic to tumor cells suggesting that it could be useful as a chemotherapeutic agent. While again I would not suggest using HDVC as a stand-alone treatment, studies have shown it to kill cancer cells, slow the growth of cancers, and greatly improve the effectiveness of other cancer treatments. Some research shows that HDVC can reduce tumor size and may lead to tumor regression, including in patients with metastatic disease.
Antioxidant vs Pro-oxidant
At ordinary doses, vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from free radical damage. However, at high doses, it acts like a pro-oxidant drug that produces hydrogen peroxide, which targets cancer cells while leaving normal cells unharmed. Hydrogen peroxide is lethal to cancer cells. It oxidizes the tissues by converting the free radicals into hydrogen peroxide that can destroy the cancer cells and inhibit their energy supply.
According to Dr Steve Hickey, PhD, ” Fortunately within tumors, vitamin C and certain other dietary ‘antioxidants’ act as oxidants, rather than antioxidants. Morever, the same substances act as antioxidants within healthy cells. This means they can destroy cancer cells, while simultaneously improving the health of the rest of the body.”
According to the National Institute of Health:
“Many laboratory studies have been done to find out how high-dose vitamin C may cause the death of cancer cells. The anticancer effect of vitamin C in different types of cancer cells involves a chemical reaction that makes hydrogen peroxide, which may kill cancer cells.”
Vitamin C also does more than just kill cancer cells. It boosts immunity which we know is essential for the prevention and management of cancer.
Vitamin C, Immunity, and Cancer:
- Increased immune function with enhanced antibody production (lymphocytes)
- Stimulation of collagen formation necessary to wall off tumors (replacement and destruction of tumor cells)
- Enhanced natural killer cell activity
- Inhibits of hyaluronidase to keep ground substance intact and preventing metastases
- Inhibition of oncogenic viruses
- Supports the p53 tumor suppressor gene
- Corrections of C deficiency commonly seen in cancer patients
- Enhanced healing of surgical wounds
- Enhanced anticancer effects of certain chemotherapeutic agents
- Chemotherapy and radiation better tolerated when HDVC is used (including reduced pain)
- Combining high dose vitamin C with radiation and/or certain types of chemo may be more effective than these treatments on their own
- Prevents free radical damage by responding to inflammation and its resulting oxidative stress
- Produces hydrogen peroxide which may help to kill cancer cells by forming the hydroxyl radical in cancer cells because they lack catalase
- May help to neutralize certain cancer producing substances
There is a plethora of research beyond the early studies done by Pauling and Cameron. For example, Drs. Murata and Morishige of Saga University in Japan showed that cancer patients given 5–30g of vitamin C lived six times longer than those on 4g or less, while those suffering from cancer of the uterus lived 15 times longer on vitamin C therapy. This was also confirmed by the late Dr Abram Hoffer in Canada, who found that patients on high doses of vitamin C survived, on average, ten times longer.
Treatment with high-dose vitamin C has been found to slow the growth and spread of prostate, breast, pancreatic, liver, colon, malignant mesothelioma, neuroblastoma, and other types of cancers.
Oral Vitamin C is better Than Intravenous Vitamin C
However through the work of Hickey, and others, we have learned that not only can oral intake be as effective asintravenousous C, it can actually be even more effective. Hickey maintains that since you can take oral vitamin C throughout the day as well as daily, the treatment is more effective.
He says that “the ‘vitamin C as chemotherapy’ model used for IVC assumes delivery of a relatively short, high burst of ascorbate. However, this does not apply to oral doses, which can be used to produce long term, sustained plasma levels.” His findings show a large increase in cancer toxicity when the experimental exposure time was increased from 1 hour to 24 hours. He also found that alpha alpha-lipoic acid (R-ALA), copper, selenium, and other redox (oxygen –reducing) active supplements greatly increase the selective cytotoxicity of ascorbate.”
You may find the full article informative: Vitamin C and Cancer: Is There a Use for Oral C
The trick to being able to consume high levels of oral C without the typical bowel intolerance is to use Liposomal C or Sodium Ascorbate. My two favorite brands of liposomal C are Mercola and Lypo-Spheric . You can also make it at home. One trip to google will provide DIY methods.
The Role of Sodium Ascorbate
While liposomal C has been used for many years, new research has found that another form of vitamin C, sodium Ascorbate, is highly effective as is also more affordable.
Please view this extremely informative video by Dr Suzanne Humphries. You will learn the safety and health benefits of high dose vitamin C. She includes considerable information as to why sodium ascorbate can be helpful in your protocol.
How to Use HDVC
It is important to work with a professional before beginning this treatment.
- A G6PD test is recommended before any IVC infusions are given. Patients with a rare inherited disorder called G-6-PD deficiency should not be given high doses of vitamin C, due to the risk of hemolysis (a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed). Patients with a history of kidney disorders should not be treated with HDVC unless at the advice of a qualified physician (and supplementation with B6 as well as magnesium).
- It is best to start slowly. Practitioners typically start a patient with 10 or 20 grams, increasing over a period of time to 50 grams. In previous years the doses went as high as 100 grams, but more recent research indicates this is not necessary. For oral C, you may want to start out with small doses, starting at 1-2 grams, three times a day and build up to your optimal dose which could be anywhere from 4-20 grams.
- The use of ascorbic acid urine strips is recommended to find the right dose you’re your individual needs.
- Consider supportive supplements such as alpha alpha-lipoic acid (R-ALA) and selenium.
- You may feel ‘wiped out’, foggy, or shaky when you first begin this treatment. Plan accordingly. If using IVC, be sure you have someone to escort you home. If starting at home, plan to take a restorative nap. Consuming calcium/magnesium rick foods during this therapy can help alleviate such symptoms.
- Do not use IV Glutathione the same day as HDVC as they will cancel each other out (antioxidant and proxidant).
- Never begin any new therapy without the advice of a qualified physician
For more information and resources:
https://www.csom.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Vitamin-C-and-Cancer-Is-There-A-Use-For-Oral-Vitamin-C-28.1.pdf Steve Hickey, PhD and Hilary Roberts, PhD
You may also want to visit the website of the Vitamin C Foundation at: http://vitamincfoundation.org/alerts.php
~~If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any~~
Elyn Jacobs is a breast cancer survivor and holistic cancer strategist who helps people make better, healthier, non-toxic choices. She emphasizes the critical nature of addressing the root cause of cancer and not just its presenting symptoms (such as the tumor). Elyn specializes in understanding the role of estrogen in breast cancer and debunks the myths associated. She is a Contributing Editor for The Truth About Cancer and was creator and host of the Survive and Live Well Radio Show on the Cancer Support Network. Elyn is on the Medical Advisory Board for BeatCancer.Org and is on the Advisory Board to the Radical Remission Project. Elyn was the former Executive Director of the Emerald Heart Cancer Foundation. Contact Elyn via her website. Elyn offers consults via Skype, phone or in person.
Follow Elyn on Facebook
Follow Elyn on Linkedin